Friday, May 31, 2013

Office Chair Makeover



My dream crafting space is coming together nicely but one thing remained an eyesore with all my white furniture. Enter: $9.99 solid black IKEA chair from years past. My frugal side won't allow me to throw it out since it still is a well functioning chair but my DIY side had an easy solution...reupholster! 


First, I took the chair apart. Removing the seat was easy since it was only a few screws but the back rest took some prying with a paint scraper. Once it starts to come out it pops off with ease. Fortunately the foam padding was still good & I didn't need to replace it!


Next step was pulling out all the staples with a pocket knife & pliers. Then I used the old boring blah seat covers as my pattern on my freshly ironed fabric.


Thankfully my husband helped me with the last part of stapling on the new cover! I lined up the design where I wanted it & stretched the fabric over the foam then started stapling away. The extra set of hands really came in handy here. I'm sure you could do it by yourself but DIY time with my husband is always nice :) After it was in place I trimmed off the excess fabric & put my chair back together! 


VOILA!


I might even spray paint the black hardware.....hmmm.










No comments:

Post a Comment